Friday, September 30, 2011

His is Holy Bible

Psalms 19:7 - The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

The little boy sat next to his grandmother, behind me in the church. Looking forward to the day when I can teach my grandchildren about Jesus and have them come to church with m, I listened to the service with one ear, the other tuned in to the little boy and his grandmother.

He was asking her about what the pastor was doing. She, very quietly and patiently, was explaining everything to him. I noticed he had brought his very own Bible, so when the pastor read from Scripture, the little boy tried to follow along. When the pastor announced he was reading from the NIV section, the boy seemed puzzled. 

"What is the NIV Bible?" He asked his grandmother. When she explained there are many different versions of the Bible, he proudly announced, "Mine's the Holy Bible!"

His response struck a chord. It made me consider just how complicated we can make something so basic as Christianity. We add a lot of do's and dont's, conditions, interpretations, varying opinions, many of those merely add up to division and confusion in the body.

I probably won't recognize that little boy if I were to see him again, but I will never forget his words: "Mine is the Holy Bible!"

And so is mine! Hallelujah!

Mary Beckwith

No comments:

Post a Comment